Re:A Most Peculiar Priority

---------- "Roger Kirk" <rogerkirk@ttlc.net> writes:
>After listening quite carefully to WBZ for more than 3 weeks, I  have
>noticed that in virtually ALL news stories relating to the >gubernatorial
>race, the announcer mentions Republican Mitt Romney first and Democrat
>Shannon O'Brien second.

>Why?  If this isn't a clear example of media bias, then what is it?  Is
>there an FCC rule that candidates belonging to the current president's
>party must be first?

>I pose this question directly to Sir David of Faneuf and WBZ's
>management as may be lurking here.  Others on the list are welcome to
>post their theories, too!
>Roger

Well, I can't answer for the folks at BZ, I know when I write a forward promo (coming up tonight the final debate etc) I try to make an effort to alternate the names and affiliations.  As far as writing a news story is concerned it depends on the story.  If it features a Romney attack on O'Brien the Romney would probably get top billing, if O'Brien was attacking Romney then she would be featured.  I put the response that way since most of the stories written about these two lately have been name calling...

Off the radio topic briefly and a note on Channel 5's coverage of the pre-debate during the 6 o'clock news Tuesday.  Janet Wu looked us in the eye and said, "voters have three choices next week.  Romney, O'Brien or no one".  I can tell you that statement caused quite the stir in the WBUR newsroom, we all looked at each other and questioned if that's really what we heard her say....apparently it was....so much for unbiased reporting. "news you can trust".
df