Re: WROR/WZLX

At 02:52 AM 10/23/2002, Nostatic wrote:
>The classic rock format as we know it today is much different than it was
>when WZLX and other first wave classic rockers signed on in the late
>1980's.  Back then the format was strictly 60's and 70's based and
>targeted the Baby Boomers who were then dominating the 25-44
>demographic.  With the Gen-Xers now starting to outnumber Boomers in that
>demo, classic rock has responded by adding more 80's songs than ever
>before. I still see WROR as more of a classic hits station with an older
>and softer focus, and not a true classic rocker, despite all the hype a
>few weeks back.  For the most part, classic rockers around the country
>have adopted the 80's (at least the early 80's) as an important component
>of their music mixes.

WWRX, before it was bought out by WFNX, was a very popular "classic rock"
station in the area where I grew up (southeastern CT), most of my friends
listened to them.  At least until Z-Rock (WXZR) came to town...then it was
a split between the two.   Anyways, WWRX played a lot of pretty modern
stuff...I was hearing stuff from U2's "Achtung Baby" - released in 1992
IIRC - when I was listening in 1998.   That was somewhat unusual, but their
core genres were 1970's and 1980's rock...with dips into the early 1990's.

Does anyone know if WWRX was not doing well and that's why they sold out to
WFNX?  I can't imagine FNX paying top-dollar for a station with a reach
like WWRX's...so I'd be inclined to think there was some sort of
quasi-special deal there.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels Technical Consulting / Boston, MA
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron