Re: WROR/WZLX

The classic rock format as we know it today is much different than it
was when WZLX and other first wave classic rockers signed on in the late
1980's.  Back then the format was strictly 60's and 70's based and
targeted the Baby Boomers who were then dominating the 25-44
demographic.  With the Gen-Xers now starting to outnumber Boomers in
that demo, classic rock has responded by adding more 80's songs than
ever before. I still see WROR as more of a classic hits station with an
older and softer focus, and not a true classic rocker, despite all the
hype a few weeks back.  For the most part, classic rockers around the
country have adopted the 80's (at least the early 80's) as an important
component of their music mixes.

As an older Gen-Xer who graduated high school in 1984, I can identify
with a lot of the music currently playing on WZLX. During my high school
years I remember listening to bands like the Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Van
Halen, Rush, Styx, the Cars, Ozzy Osbourne, Boston, and yes, Journey.
 All of these bands get plenty of play at WZLX. I also liked some of the
middle to late 80's new wave/alternative stuff after high school, and
it's too bad there is no place on the dial to hear most of that music
anymore.

The question is, will classic rock be like oldies and chase the Baby
Boomers to the grave or will it stay relevant to the 25-54 money demos?
  If it's the latter, I could see even more 80's stuff filtering into
the format over the next few years and it could take an alternative
lean, depending on the market.  However, the icons of the format--Led
Zeppelin, The Who, The Stones, and other 70's rockers will probably stay
in the format for quite some time to come.