Re: WROR/WZLX

Nostatic wrote:

>The question is, will classic rock be like oldies and chase the Baby
>Boomers to the grave or will it stay relevant to the 25-54 money
>demos?  If it's the latter, I could see even more 80's stuff filtering
>into the format over the next few years and it could take an alternative
>lean, depending on the market.  However, the icons of the format--Led
>Zeppelin, The Who, The Stones, and other 70's rockers will probably stay
>in the format for quite some time to come.

Can't say as I've really noticed much of a trend towards newer stuff in
classic rock.  What 80s stuff you hear on the format was often played as a
current ("it doesn't have to be old to be classic").  I'm not sure how well
80s alternative music will fit in...as I recall, when new wave/altrock came
along in the late 70s/early 80s it was to say the least not well received
by AOR audiences, who didn't want anything to do with these "green hair"
bands.  The demographic generational shift won't become a big factor for
another few years, it will be interesting to see what happens.  I'm sure
all eyes/ears are on "traditional" oldies stations to see how well their
transition away from pre-British Invasion music and more 70s tunes is accepted.

There were a few attempts at an 80s format a couple years ago...imho it was
way too focused on new wave/altrock with almost no pop artists (Madonna,
Cyndi Lauper, Culture Club, etc).  Maybe the world wasn't ready for the 80s
yet?  Not sure why...I always considered the 80s to have been every bit as
interesting musically as the 60s (and more so than the 70s).  When the
Talking Heads are a core artist, you know you're in trouble.