Re: WROR/WZLX

SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> Can't say as I've really noticed much of a trend towards newer stuff
> in classic rock.  What 80s stuff you hear on the format was often
> played as a current ("it doesn't have to be old to be classic").  I'm
> not sure how well 80s alternative music will fit in...as I recall,
> when new wave/altrock came along in the late 70s/early 80s it was to
> say the least not well received by AOR audiences, who didn't want
> anything to do with these "green hair" bands.  The demographic
> generational shift won't become a big factor for another few years, it
> will be interesting to see what happens.  I'm sure all eyes/ears are
> on "traditional" oldies stations to see how well their transition away
> from pre-British Invasion music and more 70s tunes is accepted.

There was an interesting article in R&R last week regarding oldies
stations. In it, they talked about some stations that are dropping the
"Oldies" moniker because it's gaining a negative "stodgy" image in some
younger markets.  Some companies are flipping their stations away from
oldies altogether and moving toward classic rock/hits.  Nassau
Broadcasting in New Jersey and Pennsylvania have done this in four of
their markets.  The arguement is that oldies as a format has not
transitioned well to a more 70's based presentation, and that the new
crop of 25-54 listeners gravitate more toward rock, rather than
pop-based music.  It was quite a negative piece if you are a fan of the
oldies format, but it could be the wave of the future in the next few
years.  I'm sure that the format will do well for awhile in older
markets, such as Boston.  It seems however that oldies is quickly
becoming the next "adult standards."

> There were a few attempts at an 80s format a couple years ago...imho
> it was way too focused on new wave/altrock with almost no pop artists
> (Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Culture Club, etc).  Maybe the world wasn't
> ready for the 80s yet?  Not sure why...I always considered the 80s to
> have been every bit as interesting musically as the 60s (and more so
> than the 70s).  When the Talking Heads are a core artist, you know
> you're in trouble.

The 80's format failed for two reasons.  First, it was overly researched
and too narrow musically, much like Jammin' Oldies and Modern AC were.
 There were only a couple of hundred songs that fit the strict criterea
and once these titles burned out so did the format.  Second, subsequent
research has shown that unlike Baby Boomers, Gen-Xers are receptive to
new music, and want newer sounds from the 90's, and the present mixed in
with the big 80's hits.  As a result, more classic rockers are playing
newer cuts from core artists, AAA's are slowly gaining acceptance, and
new format hybrids like rock AC are popping up to reach this group.
 Gen-Xers as a whole don't seem to want a wall to wall nostalgia format
like the Boomers did, so even if an 80's format was developed that was
deeper musically, I don't think that it would work.

Mike Thomas