RE: Commercials 103.3

Most Oldies stations play the short (single) version of "Light My Fire"
by The Doors, as it was the only version played on Top-40 radio in the
60's.

Most Classic Rock stations play the long (album) version, as it was the
version played on FM album rock radio in the late 60's.

Oldies stations nowadays emulate 60's/70's Top-40 radio and play 45
(single) short versions. Classic Rock stations are somewhat of a distant
decendent of "FM underground" album rock radio and will (sometimes) play
album versions.

Top-40 radio in the 60's played 45's. The record companies knew that
Top-40 radio wouldn't play songs that were considered too long. Some
album cuts and longer versions didn't infiltrate into some certain Top-40
stations until the early 70's when they were trying to compete with the
"hipper" FM album rockers that had recently become the sucessful trend.

And, teenyboppers snapped up the 45's of "Light My Fire" like hotcakes in
summer 1967! The short version was one of the top pop hits of the year!
Jim Morrison was marketed as a teenage heartthrob at first, his picture
was all over "16 Magazine". Psychedelic rock albums with extended cuts
were still considered somewhat esoteric, for those older newfangled weird
"hippie types". Top-40 listeners still mostly wanted quick, snappy songs,
they generally weren't interested (yet) in zoning out to long, psychedelic
jams.

When "Light My Fire" came out in summer '67, all the rock stations here
were still Top-40. WMEX, WBZ, and WRKO (AM & FM) all played the short
version. WBCN didn't begin playing "underground" album rock until March
of '68. But, that wasn't the first place I heard the long version on air.

Since I didn't buy The Doors first album when I was 10 years old, I
didn't even know there was a long version of "Light My Fire" until I
heard it played on the MIT college station WTBS (now WMBR) in fall '67,
a few months after the short version hit the Top-40 charts. It blew my
little mind at the time.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .