Re: WCAP web site??

--- Roger Kirk <rogerkirk@ttlc.net> wrote:
> I was under the impression that the courts have
> ruled that one may not "own" a domain
named IF it is
> claimed by the rightful trademark holder.
> And we're not talking about the word
"sting" being
> claimed by Sting of the Police.  980WCAP seems to
> rightfully be the trademark of 980 WCAP Lowell.
> Perhaps one of our esteemd legal eagles would be
> kind enough to throw their 3 cents worth into the
> fray.

Funny you ask.  I am taking Intellectual Property this
semester and was reading about this issue earlier
today.  There is a federal law that allows a trademark
holder to go to court and get a domain name using
their trademark transfered to them.  The organization
that assigns domain name also now has an arbitration
process.

Both processes take time so WCAP may have switched so
they could get a page up immediately.  Both processes
also cost money to pursue so WCAP may have decided the
issue wasn't worth the fight.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine