Re: Phillips Academy Andover Open; WPAA-FM Is B-a-a-a-ck

At 09:59 AM 9/11/2002, Peter Murray wrote:
>That doesn't apply to WPAA (they're not WPAA-FM, actually) - as they're a
>granfathered class A facility (25W/64m horizontally polarized only). How
>can a facility with the same class as WFNX (not a qualitative assessment)
>be permitted to operate in such a way? There were a number of days when as
>CE of WJRH (104.9 - Easton) I took a walk to the basement of Hogg Hall to
>shut down our 8W signal because we were just dead air (or because someone
>left some bad pseudo-jazz cd on infinite repeat, thinking that was better
>than being dark). What a waste of spectrum.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is ZERO excuse for any
station to ever shut down anymore.  A near-bulletproof automation system
can be assembled for under $2000, in many cases under $500 depending on
what you can get for donated equipment.   Dial-up remote control of your
transmitter can be had for the cost of a phone line (usually $10-$20 per
month) and a Broadcast Tools' DC8PLUS for $400.  Technically you do not
NEED any other equipment...although at least a silence sensor that can
trigger the remote control/dialer would be wise to ensure that you don't
have dead carrier (thus violation of Legal ID's).

Christ, if Allston-Brighton Free Radio can stay on the air for 24/7/365
(well, pretty close to it)....then I say nobody else has an excuse.

BTW - I don't mean to plug the DC8PLUS over all other forms of remote
control, I've never used it myself but it's the best balance I've seen of
cheap and functional in a dial-up controller that will also dial-out for
you in case of emergencies.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels.com Technical Consulting
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron