Re: Phillips Academy Andover Open; WPAA-FM Is B-a-a-a-ck

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Shawn Mamros wrote:

> Truth be told, I don't think the FCC has anyone who actively monitors
> stations (key word being "actively") for technical and other violations.
> But if somebody were to file a complaint (and it would probably help
> the cause if the complaint were to come from another station directly
> affected - i.e., a nearby AM receiving interference from another AM
> which didn't properly power down, etc.), then the Feds could - and
> most likely actually would - take action.  With no complaints, though,
> nothing is going to happen.
>
> -Shawn Mamros
> E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu

Funny coincidence this, appearing today in the FCC Daily Digest:

------
 TARRANT RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.(TARRANT).  Issued a monetary forfeiture
in the amount of $3,000.00 to Tarrant, licensee of Station KZEE(AM) in
Weatherford, TX for violations involving operating Station KZEE(AM) with
an antenna input power at a level more than 105% of authorized power.
Action by:  Chief, Enforcement Bureau.  Adopted:  09/09/2002 by Forfeiture
Order. (DA No. 02-2205).  EB

<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-02-2205A1.doc>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-02-2205A1.pdf>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-02-2205A1.txt>
------

Perhaps this is proof that complaints DO work. If you want WPAA (and other
chronic rulebreakers) to follow the requirements of their licenses, give
the FCC notification that violations are happening. I don't think the
Trustees of Phillips Andover Academy will allow multiple Notices of
Violation (and resulting fines).

-Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Pittsburgh, PA