Re: Phillips Academy Andover Open; WPAA-FM Is B-a-a-a-ck

>Yes, I keep hearing derisive comments about some FCC 'connection' - but
>I'd like to see how this is different from the reports we continually see
>about AM stations operating with daytime power at night, failure to switch
>to nighttime patterns, etc. This sloppiness goes on because statistics
>show that the likelyhood of receiving a NOV is very low. Do we do more
>than report it here? Are there FCC isteners on this list?

Truth be told, I don't think the FCC has anyone who actively monitors
stations (key word being "actively") for technical and other violations.
But if somebody were to file a complaint (and it would probably help
the cause if the complaint were to come from another station directly
affected - i.e., a nearby AM receiving interference from another AM
which didn't properly power down, etc.), then the Feds could - and
most likely actually would - take action.  With no complaints, though,
nothing is going to happen.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu