RE: Red Sox back to Channel 38 and 4

Hakim writes:

Sea/n Symth writes:

>I think this also goes to show how much the
>Red Sox owners really need to pull in through NESN
>revenues, I don't know how they're realistically going to afford the note
>payments on this team.

Last year when the new owners bought the Sox, I read an article
in one of the business magazines, that real value for the new
owners was *not* the team itself, but the NESN cable operation.
They're counting on that to pull in major revenue, and expanding
NESN's offerings beyond just mostly Bruins and Red Sox.

I don't need to tell you that for many years now there has been
a trend away from over-the-air TV broadcasts of professional sports
on to cable, with in some cases the teams themselves having some sort
of ownership in said cable operation, such as the so-called 'YES' network
in NY and NESN up here.

IMHO in the not to distant future I can see where the majority if not all
pro sports TV (and big-time college for that matter), might be on pay
per view cable. Goodbye, eventually to free over-the-air broadcasts of
sports events.

73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)