radio, TV remembers 9/11

Should be interesting to hear what stations do as we
commemorate the first anniversary of 9/11. I've heard
some stations are going commercial free most or all of
the time on that day...there should be special
programs and featurettes. (Many advertisers have
specified they don't want to advertise on 9/11,
including political
candidates).

And certainly there will be much about 9/11 on TV--
there already has been the past week or so.

When it happened last year, I woke up around 9 am
(work a late job) and had WEEI's Dennis and Callahan
on, expecting to hear belly-aching about the Red Sox.
I heard John Dennis say something like, "We're going
back to ABC News now--if you haven't heard, a plane
has crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers
in New York City..."

I got up and went to my kitchen TV, a 5-inch black and
white which only got broadcast reception, not cable.
(My cable was knocked out when my city was doing some
drilling outside my sidewalk and they cut into
the cable). Tuned in right around the time they got
footage of the second plane hitting the building and I
kept saying "Holy (bleep)!" to myself. Then the report
that the Pentagon was being attacked, and the
no-doubt-it's-terrorism views came out.

My cable TV was restored an hour or so later (got a
refund from my cable company for the couple weeks
I missed) and I got to see all the extended coverage
on cable (my living room TV had just about no
reception
w/o cable, and I didn't have "rabbit ears" at the
time...)

As I went to work, I listened intently to the radio. I
normally would listen to stations like WRKO or WTKK
anyway; in addition, stations that normally would have
music were doing simulcasts...WQSX doing WRKO,
WBCN had WBZ, etc. For awhile, WTKK was simulcasting
CNN late at night.

The horror became apparent to all through the
broadcast media, and the nation (for the most part)
united. Anyway, we'll see how radio (and TV)
commemorate 9/11, and God rest the souls of the
departed and our hearts remain with their friends,
family, and co-workers.

Never again.

Do You Discuss NE Radio and TV? http://neradio.proboards10.com/index.cgi