Re: Very Unusual Commercial Airing Currently on WBZ-AM

--- Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com> wrote:
> Why? What is the problem with a union stating its
> case?  (Or opponents of a
> union stating theirs?)  I realise that some on this
> list are anti-union,
> which is their privilege, but what's wrong with
> advocacy ads, as long as
> they are in good taste?  Such ads are nothing more
> than commercials for a
> particular point of view, and in a world where radio
> and TV explain the
> issues less and less often, sometimes these ads--
> biased though they may
> be-- are the only way to hear a particular side of
> the issues.  WBZ was
> carrying some advocacy ads from the American Jewish
> Committee this past
> week, and I found them very articulate and very
> balanced-- I can't imagine
> anyone, pro or anti, complaining about them.

I agree entirely.  A democracy depends upon people
being able to speak out on issues of concern.  In our
modern society, radio and TV have taken the place of
the town square.  Closing off the modern town square
to political speech is dangerous and un-American,

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine