Re: Very Unusual Commercial Airing Currently on WBZ-AM

it was written--
>I've heard a number of such ads lately on WBZ.  I live in N.H. so I'm not
>familiar with a lot of the politics in Mass., but a month or so ago there
>was some sort of political convention & there seemed to be a lot of ads
>from labor unions trying to influence delegates (at least that's what it
>sounded like).  Your union dues at work.
>
>One would think that the #1 station in Boston would be a little more
>selective when it came to such ads...

Why? What is the problem with a union stating its case?  (Or opponents of a
union stating theirs?)  I realise that some on this list are anti-union,
which is their privilege, but what's wrong with advocacy ads, as long as
they are in good taste?  Such ads are nothing more than commercials for a
particular point of view, and in a world where radio and TV explain the
issues less and less often, sometimes these ads-- biased though they may
be-- are the only way to hear a particular side of the issues.  WBZ was
carrying some advocacy ads from the American Jewish Committee this past
week, and I found them very articulate and very balanced-- I can't imagine
anyone, pro or anti, complaining about them.