RE: Sunday Globe Magazine article on Jerry Williams

Laurence Glavin writes:

> I get home delivery of the paper, so I read it earlier in the smallest
>room of my house, but that's behind me now.  Anyway, I checked the
>Globe on-line and it is possible to click on the 'Magazine', but all
>you get is the feature story on population growth in the town of
>Hopkinton (the starting point of the Boston Marathon). So those
>of you who want to read this fairly well-written story may have to
>buy or borrow and copy of the paper.  BTW, the mystical magical
>number '38' pops up once again:  WBZ's signal reaching 38 states.  No more!
>There's a phalanx of full time stations on 1030 in the middle of the
>country blocking WBZ-AM's signal westward, not to mention the 50KW
>outlet in Wyoming (next door the the Wyoming Boron and Zinc outlet)--

Laurence Glavin

The entire Jerry Williams article from yesterday (6/16/02) is available from
the Globe Archives (requires subscription and fee per retrieval). But it's a
great article, and is worth pulling up from the Globe Archives for those
that missed/never noticed/threw away yesterday's paper...etc.

As far as clear channel stations go, the Globe article, of course mentions
WBZ in the context of 1968, when it's frequency was still truly clear
channel. As I and other bri list participants have pointed out, a little
while back, since the late 70s The Friendly Candy Company has been getting
away from the idea of clear channels, and starting to allow a myriad of
others on these frequencies. The idea of AM clear channel frequencies has
been thought irrelevant in this day and age both by much of the industry and
the FCC. Back in the mid 70s I happened to meet a CBS radio VP who said as
much.

73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)