Re: Fwd: Talk Radio (was LTAR)

>  DATE: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:10:39
>From: Dan Billings <billingsdan@yahoo.com>
>To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
>
>And the liberals do dominate public radio where they
>can survive on a government subsidy and ignore
>commercial concerns.  ;-)
>
>-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

What government subsidy is that Dan?  Most public radio stations I know
receive little or no government funding of any kind.  Several of them
receive funding from their parent University or College...including free
rent & utilities (an non-inconsiderable sum, no doubt)...but nothing in the
way of government subsidies.

I suppose you could say the state schools get fed money and therefore the
stations get fed money, but that's stretching the concept a bit.

Anyways, the stations that are organized enough to apply for and manage
gov't money are those that cannot afford to ignore basic business
principles like serving the customer, balancing their budget, etc etc etc
because they're going to be large enough to have some real listeners who're
expecting a certain level of quality...AND they're going to have staff
that's going to expect at least some paycheck (no matter how paltry it may
be :-)

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels.com Technical Consulting
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron