Re: Fwd: Re: RE: Sunday Globe Magazine article on Jerry Williams

The stations you mentioned _were_ clear-channel stations-
-but were IB clears not IAs. The IAs were nonduplicated
at night in the 48 contiguous states and (with one
exception) Canada. The one exception was KFI and the
reason it was an exception is that Newfoundland, which
is where the other legacy occupant of 640 is, wasn't
part of Canada until after NARBA (the North American
Regional Broadcast Agreement) took effect on March 31,
1941.

There were two IBs (as well as secondary stations)
operating at night on most of the US IB channels.
Exceptions were 680, 850, and 1540, which had only one
Class IB occupant in the US, and 1130, which had two in
the US and one in Canada. 1540 was (and still is) shared
between the US and the Bahama Islands. The Bahamas was
late in making full use of its clear channel, however,
with the result that the US added a number of secondary
stations on 1540 (WPTR is one such). As a consequence,
ZNS-1 is directional to protect the US mainland.

The Mexican border blasters, including Wolfman Jack's
legendary XERF 1570, subsisted completely on per-inquiry
advertising aimed mostly a people in sparsely populated
areas of the US south and southwest. Besides XERF, other
border blasters (most of which used more than 50,000
watts at night) were on 800 and 1050.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205