Homogeneity in stations (was: BUR-GBH)

At 12:38 PM 6/6/2002, Larry Weil wrote:
>At 10:17 AM 06/06/2002 -0400, Aaron [Bishop] Read wrote:
>>At 08:12 PM 6/5/2002, Paul Anderson wrote:
>>
>>>If WBUR and WGBH are going to broadcast the same shows, why can't they
>>>at least do so at different times?
>
>Actually, at one time several years ago. WUMB, also an NPR affiliate,
>tried broadcasting ATC at a later time in the evening.  It didn't work
>out, the people who listen to WUMB do so for the music.

Something I've noticed lots of people screaming about is the homogenizing
of radio, lack of diversity in programming within each station (i.e.
15-song rotations,etc).  But you don't generally hear it applied to
non-comm radio so much.  Why isn't it?  WUMB used to be pretty wide
diversity of formats all week long...now it's at least 80% folk on
weekdays.  WBUR used to have some nice jazz on evenings and overnights...no
longer - ALL talk (except for Con Salsa - can't figure that out)   WGBH
used to have more of a wild-west mix on but now their DJ's must submit
playlists.  And it's not just them...I've heard rumors that other major
non-comm's around here are tightening their formats - and I noticed WERS is
looking to hire an underwriting manager (saw it on Monster.com) so I'd
wager changes there are on the horizon.

What's happened to quality free-form radio around here?

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels.com Technical Consulting
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron