Quality free form radio (Homogeneity in stations)

"Aaron [Bishop] Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
said on Thursday, June 06, 2002 12:57 PM

>WUMB used to be pretty wide  diversity of formats all week long...now it's
at least 80% folk on  weekdays.

I moved out to western Mass. in 1985, but when I did live in Boston, I can
remember WUMB being all folk music from something like 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.

> What's happened to quality free-form radio around here?

Well. like I said above, I haven't been in the area for 17 years now, but I
remember 88.1 WMBR always having quality free-form programming.  Back when
101.7 was just getting going as an alt-rock station, WMBR had "The Late
Risers Club" every weekday morning.  I was a Listener Line volunteer at WBCN
and I can remember when Oedipus first came to the station as Maxanne
Sartori's helper.  He used to do a show on Sunday nights on WBCN called
"Nocturnal Emissions," but I know for a fact he would get ideas of what to
play on his show from listening to "Late Risers."

And besides, Quality and Free Form don't always go together.  Free Form
implies expermentation, and during the course of that experimentation,
Quality is not always guaranteed and should not be expected.  Otherwise, it
wouldn't be truly Free Form.

Just my opinion.  Comments anyone?
Brian Anastasi