Re: WRKO replaces Dr. Laura with V.B.

At 02:16 AM 6/3/2002, you wrote:
>From: "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@yahoo.com>
>
> > Saturday's Globe mentioned that starting this
> > Monday, WRKO will replace Not-A-Doctor Laura
>
>Isn't anyone with a PHD considered a Doctor?

Yes, she has a degree in Physiology I believe.  She is not an MD, nor does
she have any degrees in...
Psychology (non-MD, cannot prescribe drugs)
Psychotherapy (sometimes non-degree-based, more emphasis on clinical
training than collegiate education)
Psychaitry (MD, can prescribe drugs)

However, as most mothers will attest, you don't *need* a degree to be an
effective psychological counselor...although having a degree in psychology
as I do, I will attest that it does help a lot.   Personally I think Dr.
Laura is a pretentious blowhard, but she's got every right to do her show
and call herself a doctor.   I love the parody that "Sluggy Freelance"
(long-time online comic strip) does of her with "The Dr. Lorna Radio
Show"  http://sluggy.com/d/971116.html

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels.com Technical Consulting
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron