Re: WRKO replaces Dr. Laura with V.B.

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 11:10:37 -0700 (PDT) Bob Nelson
<raccoonradio@yahoo.com> writes:
> --- R Palino <rpalino@mailandnews.com> wrote:
>
> > However, she *IS* a Dr.
>
> Very good point, and I, for one, should stop using the
> "Not a Doctor" bit. For earning a Ph.D, in whatever
> the speciality, she should be referred to
> as "Doctor". I stand corrected.

You could continue to call her Not a Doctor of Psychology....

> (By the way, I've noticed former office holders are
> often still referred to with their previous titles.
> Not only would some refer to a former U.S. President
> as "President", but I've heard Ray Flynn referred to
> as "Ambassador Flynn" even though he is no longer
> ambassador to the Vatican-- and you could probably
> call him "Mayor Flynn" despite the fact that he's
> been out of office for a decade or so, etc.)

Usually for a former office holder you refer to them as whatever their
highest office held was, so in Ray Flynn's case I know I call him
Ambassador Flynn when I address him.  When I intereviewed Lowell Wicker a
number of years ago, prior to the interview I asked him how he would like
me to address him during the interview as Governor or Senator, he said
Governor. (he was neither at the time)

df