X calls

<<On Mon, 20 May 2002 12:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cooper Fox <fox893@yahoo.com> said:

> The following is from allaccess's news e-mail
> XETRA COMMUNICACIONES buys XHTZ, XCHR; CLEAR CHANNEL
> operates;

The trade press is particularly brain-dead when it comes to Mexican
stations' callsigns; they keep on trying to cram them into four
letters when Mexico allows as many as six (e.g., Saul Levine's
XEBACH).  That's why in the San Diego media you so often see
references to ``XTRA'' (XETRA).  The general rule for Mexico is that
all MW-AM stations are XE-, and all VHF/UHF stations are XH- unless
they're Really Old (like Fox affiliate XETV, channel 6).

Scott pointed out to me that this deal gives Clear Channel something
like ten or twelve signals in San Diego.

-GAWollman