RE: Canadian Gray Market Shut Down

At 11:43 AM -0400 4/27/02, Hakim Madjid wrote:

>There are of course other ways for Canadians to get around these types of
>prohibitions. For instance if they buy a direct TV setup, and then sign up
>using an US based address.

And the agencies that provide the US addresses for Canadians (and
Canadian addresses for US residents) are what are being shut down by
this ruling.

>Er, maybe I should be talking about such illegalities on this list :-)

There is nothing illegal in talking about the pros and cons or
consequences of a law or supreme court decision of this or any
country.  Conducting or admitting to illegal activity would be
another matter.  It has never been a violation of US law for an
American to purchase foreign programming or a foreign newspaper,
although that could change if Ashcroft gets his way.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH