Channel 5's Chronicle

Last night (04/26), while I was waiting to watch Bill Moyers' "Now"
on the wonders that the Telecommunications Bill hath wrought, I caught WCVB (TV)
channel 5's "Chronicle" about Western Massachusetts.  One segment dealt
with the now-defunct WRLP-TV channel 32 facility in Greenfield, MA.
It showed a tower with full obstruction lighting, but a rusting building
on Gun Hill in or near Greenfield.  There was a tape of programming
on channel 32
then a mention that it went off-the-air more than 20 years ago because Greenfield
and vicinity couldn't provide an advertising base for a TV station.  I always
thought that WRLP was a passive repeater of WWLP (TV) in Springfield and
went off the air when cable made inroads or channel 22 boosted its power.
This is the second time channel 5's "Chronicle" has done a feature on a
defunct TV station in Western Massachusetts.  Two or three years  ago it ran
a story about WMGT (TV) channel 74 atop Mt. Greylock.
BTW, "Chronicle" isn't through with broadcasting...on Monday's show,
it will deal with the outer Cape, and a segment will profile Provincetown's WOMR-FM. (Nothing about the silent 102.3 in Truro I trust).

Laurence Glavin
Methuen, MA

See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp