RE: IBS (was: WGHJ, WCCM-FM, WCGY)

Depends on who you talk to.  According to some folks within IBS they're
doing just fine.  A whole lot of people outside of IBS are screaming for
the removal of a certain staff member.   I know that LPB Communications
(one of the few vendors that still go to IBS) pulled out less than 24 hours
before the conference b/c of conflicts with the aforemented staff
member...I know because I was supposed to go down there myself as part of
LPB until I got the call Thursday morning.

It's interesting...I consider myself only mildly biased in the whole thing
since I'm associated with LPB, but realistically I'm pretty uninvolved with
either IBS or LPB.  But it does strike me (from discussions with students
who attended this year) that IBS is in a definite decline and is deferring
technical seminars in favor of music and programming (which strikes me as
dumb since CMJ does that fabulously and IBS will never win at that
competition).   However, there's now CBI - College Broadcasters Inc (an
offshoot of CMA - College Media Advisors, mostly print-related) which is
VERY new (only 4 years old) and was founded out of the ashes of NACB (Nat'l
Assoc of College Broadcasters).   CBI has promise but is a little "wet
behind the ears" when it comes to radio specifically.   The NYC CBI
conference in March (one week after IBS) was rather light on the radio
topics but I'm told the fall conference in the south (this year it's in
Florida...near Orlando I think) is the bigger one and has more radio stuff.

- Aaron

At 07:46 AM 4/11/2002, Bill O'Neill wrote:
> >      Nonetheless, it was a great time to meet the
> > other stations, jocks, the labels and some of the
> > pro's who visited the convention.  What a time ;)!!!!
> >
> > -Pete
>
>NAB could take some pointers. <g>  Is IBS still alive?
>Bill O'Neill

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
12 Walnut St. / Waltham, MA / 02453