Re: WROR-FM?

On 8 Apr 2002 at 21:11, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> >  Both were top 40, but the FM was automated and called "Hit Parade 68"
> > (referring to the year, not the frequency).  In 1969 it became "Hit
> > Parade 69."  During that year (I believe)  the FM format was changed to
> > oldies and called "Solid Gold 69."  The change was probably due to
> > concern over competing with the AM, which pushed WBZ out of the Top 40
> > business that year.  It changed each January 1st to "Solid Gold 70,"
> > then "Solid Gold 71," etc.

This is slightly different from what I remember.  I remember "Hit Parade 69" becoming "Hit
Parade 70."  I don't remember a "Hit Parade 71," so I assume sometime in 1970 is when it
became "Solid Gold Rock & Roll."  There were no year designations after that.

> Wasn't the "Golden Great 98" produced in house as opposed to being
> syndicated?  I think WCOP-FM picked up the syndicated oldies service after
> WROR dropped it.  I vaguely recall some songs sounded like they were
> dubbed from records that weren't exactly in mint condition.

Actually, WCOP-FM picked it up at some point while it was still running on WROR.  I think
there may have been some rumors that WROR was going to drop the service, but it didn't.
So both stations ran the same formats for awhile, maybe a couple of months, until WCOP-
FM changed to something else.