Re: WROR-FM?

  Don.Kelley@aol.com wrote:

>In 1968 the two were split and the FM calls were changed to WROR.  A
>combination,  believe, of WRKO and WOR.

There was even a spell where they referred to it on air a "O-R Boston".

>  Both were top 40, but the FM was automated and called "Hit Parade 68"
> (referring to the year, not the frequency).  In 1969 it became "Hit
> Parade 69."  During that year (I believe)  the FM format was changed to
> oldies and called "Solid Gold 69."  The change was probably due to
> concern over competing with the AM, which pushed WBZ out of the Top 40
> business that year.  It changed each January 1st to "Solid Gold 70," then
> "Solid Gold 71," etc.

I don't remember the year being used on any format other than
"Hitparade".  The "Solid Gold Rock & Roll" format was interesting...played
a lot of tunes (both current and old) that didn't get any other airplay in
the area like Giorgio's "Son Of My Father".  I believe that this was
syndicated out of LA, loosely based on KHF-FM/KRTH and was voiced by KHJ's
jocks (Robert W. Morgan & The Real Don Steele mostly).  This was around the
same time that WRKO was doing a sort-of AOR-ish (or at least VERY
rock-oriented) format which I didn't care for very much.

>The automated oldies format eventually became known as "The Golden Great
>98" and stayed that way until 1979 when WROR went live an an oldies-based AC.

Wasn't the "Golden Great 98" produced in house as opposed to being
syndicated?  I think WCOP-FM picked up the syndicated oldies service after
WROR dropped it.  I vaguely recall some songs sounded like they were dubbed
from records that weren't exactly in mint condition.