Re: WROR-FM?

Donna:   98.5 was actually the first Boston FM station to play rock-n-roll.  Here's how it developed:  WRKO-FM was a simulcast of WNAC-AM in the 60's.  In 1966 RKO General switched the FM to an automated top 40, WKRO-FM.  "This is Ar-ko, your automated all-music station in Boston - only Ar-ko plays 7 (7,7,7,7) in a row (row, row, row, row).

This seemed to go well, and in 1967 WNAC became WRKO-AM.   WRKO-FM was simulcast from 6AM-7PM.  They ran a double ID jingle (WRKO, WRKO-FM, Boston).   I believe Ar-ko continued to run from 7PM-6AM.

In 1968 the two were split and the FM calls were changed to WROR.  A combination,  believe, of WRKO and WOR.  Both were top 40, but the FM was automated and called "Hit Parade 68" (referring to the year, not the frequency).  In 1969 it became "Hit Parade 69."  During that year (I believe)  the FM format was changed to oldies and called "Solid Gold 69."  The change was probably due to concern over competing with the AM, which pushed WBZ out of the Top 40 business that year.  It changed each January 1st to "Solid Gold 70," then "Solid Gold 71," etc.

The automated oldies format eventually became known as "The Golden Great 98" and stayed that way until 1979 when WROR went live an an oldies-based AC.  The original lineup was Frank Kingston Smith 6-10A, Jim Roberts 10A-2P, Larry Justice 2-6P, Joe Martelle 6-10P.  I don't remember who was on after 10PM.  Gary Berkowitz was the PD.  WROR became WBMX in February, 1991.

I hope this was helpful.