Re: WEEI picking up Fox Sports Radio

--- Sean Smyth <Sportswriter@dejazzd.com> wrote:
> Seeing how Entercom has cut into WEEI's programming
> already, I doubt they'd
> go local in the overnights.

Probably just an April Fool's joke, then; as WWZN
adds more local programming, you'd think WEEI would
counter with more local stuff of their own, but
given Entercom's reputation for costcutting,
it would indeed seem unlikely.

I went onto J.T. The Brick's message board and he
hinted that WEEI would soon be carrying his show,
tape delayed, so that may explain why I was hearing
them running Fox Sports last night. (Maybe they have
both ESPN and Fox programming to draw from when
they aren't doing local...)

> Fox Sports Radio fits into WEEI's programming scheme
> ('guy radio') far
> better than ESPN. Of all three national sports radio
> networks, FSR does this
> the best. I am surprised Clear Channel is giving
> WEEI the clearance to run
> this, since (if they ever get it upgraded) there was
> rumor they would turn
> WKOX into another all-sports signal.

Does Fox Sports Radio do a lot of call-ins from
listeners? I get the idea that ESPN frowns of listener
calls, relying on interviews with athletes and
sports journalists instead... maybe Fox Sports has
what J.T. dubbed "Caller-driven radio".

I think they'd still have some connection with
ESPN, though... like picking up some game broadcasts
(especially during playoff season).