Re: Re: Made-up callsigns (was: WBZ-TV News on WSBK...)

<<On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:23:49 -0500, Dave Faneuf <tklaundry@juno.com> said:

> I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that WLLH is the only dual
> xmitter station left in the country.

You are (wrong, that is).

About a dozen stations in the U.S. have synchronous transmitters, most
of them operating only at night to fill behind nulls in the pattern.
For example, KKOB has a synchro at Santa Fe for this purpose (on what
may be the only AM tower in the country to radiate the signals of four
separate stations).

WLLH may well be the only station in the U.S. which has two
synchronous transmitters operating ND-U with the same power.  There
are many such stations in Europe.  There was a proposal, back in the
1920s, for each of the radio networks to build a network of five or
six synchros on long-wave, thereby obviating the need for local
affiliates, but the telegraph companies did not want to give up any of
their spectrum for broadcasting, and the technology to synchronize
stations at such distances did not exist and would not for a couple of
decades.

-GAWollman