Re: Re: Made-up callsigns (was: WBZ-TV News on WSBK...)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:44:37 -0500 (EST) Garrett Wollman
<wollman@lcs.mit.edu> writes:
> <<On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:27:42 -0500, "Dan Strassberg"
> <dan.strassberg@att.net> said:
>
> > actually employs a chief engineer) crossing his or her fingers--if
> the
> > designated person even remembers to do that. I believe that the
> current
>
> Mega has a group engineer.
>
> There is no earthly reason why any number of synchros could not be
> locked using an external timing source such as GPS.  The big
> transmitters already use GPS to maintain frequency, and the
> mechanism
> to do that is already generating the phase-error term.
>
> -GAWollman

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that WLLH is the only dual
xmitter station left in the country.  By dual xmitter I mean 2 xmitters
on the same frequency that overlap each other in theory providing a
greater coverage area.

I don't consider what many stations do today (rebroadcast programming on
essentially another station and frequency) as a dual xmitter operation.
I'm not sure I explained that clearly, but if I didn't I am certain I'll
hear about it  ;-))
df