RE: Made-up callsigns (was: WBZ-TV News on WSBK...)

> Perhaps our colleague Bill O. can chime in with the details..
>
> What is now 91.5 WJUL Lowell, MA, started out as a carrier
> current WLTI
> 580khz back in the 50s... true bill? When did they start the
> FM operation?
> Did It use WLTI as it's first FM call sign?
>
> Ron Gitschier
> Outside of the USA

Hmm, I'm far from the most aware of alums in this stuff, but I _think_
(and can find out for sure for you) that the carrier current freq. was
620 kHz as WLTI (Lowell Technological Institute, formerly Lowell Textile
School) and the room was in the Sullivan Building in one of the original
structures as of 1952.  I think FM (1.7 kW directional) was in 1970 or
1971, with the calls to WJUL ("University of Lowell) in 1976.  The
Alumni Library addition was underway at that time ("Lydon" addition) and
the late Joe Kopycinzki was in charge of the facility AND was the
advisor to the Audio Visual Society.  Joe recalled to me (I was AVS
Pres. for a bit about 20 years ago) that the radio station approached
him and asked if AVS could consider co-opting WLTI.  Joe went further
and offered up a big bunch of undefined space in the pending building
for a state of the art studio.  AVS would then be WLTI, what would be
later called "The Movie Division" and Technical Services, all outside of
the realm of SGA (much to the shagrin of the student gov't.)  I recall
hearing of the studio design as being similar to one in NYC that was
designed near the subway, as WLTI was across from the Merrimack.  The
studio control positions (3) had floors mounted on "elephant springs"
with the other rooms on concrete.  (Elephant springs to a state college
= low tide Florida property.  XMTR was in same location with stick on
the roof.  It's still there as a backup (but not licensed or used) with
new xmtr/stick atop Fox Hall across the river.  Talk of moving the
studios has been going on for 15 years and may actually happen.  50th
reunion in October should be a place to catch up on what's in store.

Bill O'Neill