Re: Made-up callsigns (was: WBZ-TV News on WSBK...)

> Hmm, I'm far from the most aware of alums in this stuff, but I
> _think_
> (and can find out for sure for you) that the carrier current freq.
> was
> 620 kHz as WLTI (Lowell Technological Institute, formerly Lowell
> Textile
> School) and the room was in the Sullivan Building in one of the
> original
> structures as of 1952.  I think FM (1.7 kW directional) was in 1970
> or
> 1971, with the calls to WJUL ("University of Lowell) in 1976.  The
> Alumni Library addition was underway at that time ("Lydon" addition)
> and
> the late Joe Kopycinzki was in charge of the facility AND was the
> advisor to the Audio Visual Society.  Joe recalled to me (I was AVS
> Pres. for a bit about 20 years ago) that the radio station
> approached
> him and asked if AVS could consider co-opting WLTI.  Joe went
> further
> and offered up a big bunch of undefined space in the pending
> building
> for a state of the art studio.
 >snip<
> Bill O'Neill

I remember WLTI being a 10watt FM that was located in the basement of
Eames Hall in what later became a laundry room.  I was not privy to the
politics of the move and increase of power, but I did shows from the new
studios at 1.7kw prior to 1976 and the calls were still WLTI, as a matter
of fact I never did a show in the old studios in Eames Hall.

I asked Joe Kopycinzki how the calls WJUL came about and he smiled and
said it was the "jewel" of the Merrimack Valley.

WLLH  (Lowell, Lawrence, Haverhill)  I had heard, don't know how true it
is, that the original plan was to place a xmitter in Haverhill as well as
Lawrence and that's where the call signs came from.

Dave