Today's LTAR -- Comments about WCRB

Bob and Lawrence of Methuen (or Methuen of Lawrence, I forget which :>)
were talking this morning about WCRB and classical programming.  Lawrence
was mentioning some other station that plays single movements of
symphonies during their daytime programming.  WCRB used to do that a few
years ago, but apparently got a log of listener protest.  They also,
believe it or not, had even more repetition.  I remember a time when
every afternoon I would hear the first movement only of the Beethoven 8th
symphony.

I can't entirely fault some selectivity in programming.  I sometimes
listen to WHRB in my office, but I find I can't take a steady diet of
them because they like to play things that nobody else is playing.  Often
there's a reason that nobody else is playing those things.  Not only do
they play things that are unlistenable, but sometime in the mid-
afternoon, they have a tendency to do an hour or so of gregorian chants.
A few minutes of gregorian chants is a nice change of pace, but an hour
of them (or so it seems) is way too much.

WGBH was criticized a few years ago for focusing their classical
programming on a more limited playlist.  It's a much larger list than
WCRB, but at least it excludes some things that most people don't really
want to listen to.  I'd keep WGBH on in my office all the time if they
didn't stop at 4:00 for news.  I'd probably listen to them a lot more
anyway, but in my downtown office they're hard to tune in (I still have
analog tuning on my office radio) and I can't get their translator at
all.  It's generally easier to just set the radio on WCRB and keep it
there -- except that sometimes, in the middle of a client conference, I
have to stop and turn down the radio when a commercial comes on.