Re: Pat Summerall

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron 'Bishop' Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
To: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 4:38 PM
Subject: Re: Pat Summerall

> Well, he's entitled to his opinion...but as a coach he should've seen that
> prolonging the game favored the Rams, they were definitely on the comeback
> tear the second half and I think the Pats' defense was getting tired

Playing for overtime in the NFL is dumb because overtime is sudden death.
If you lose the coin flip, you can lose the game on a field goal without
ever touching the ball.  Just ask the Raiders.  Madden never addressed that
issue in his commentary, which I think really weakens the argument that he
just had a contrary opinion and didn't realize that the Pats were good in
such situations.  My criticism of Madden is not only that I disagree with
him, but that the reasons he gave for his opinion made little sense and he
didn't address the dangers of overtime.  It's a commentators job to address
those issues.   In theory, they know more about the game than most people
watching.  I think Madden has forgotten much of what he knew and gets by
with his act.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine