Re: Pat Summerall

At 08:20 AM 2/6/2002 -0500, Shawn Mamros wrote:

>Yes, Madden expressed some surprise that the Patriots decided to "go
>for it" at the very end, rather than "play it safe" and go to overtime.
>Being a former coach himself, he's entitled to his opinion on strategies,
>and he didn't say the Patriots were "dumb" for what they did, or anything
>like that, from what I heard.

Well, he's entitled to his opinion...but as a coach he should've seen that
prolonging the game favored the Rams, they were definitely on the comeback
tear the second half and I think the Pats' defense was getting tired (hence
all the oddly-timed TimeOuts...little breaks to catch their collective
breaths).

However, I was on Boylston St. on Tuesday and some guy wandered past with a
big sign that everybody cheered:
"It's a good thing John Madden isn't OUR coach!"
(on the back it had a crying baby wearing a Rams' jersey on it with the
caption: "We were the best team.  We were the best team.")

Lots of people stopped him to have their picture taken with him...it was
priceless.  :-)

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
12 Walnut St. / Waltham, MA / 02453