Re: ratings

From: "Shawn Mamros" <mamros@MIT.EDU>
wrote on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 8:33 AM

> Most of the college or college-affiliated stations in town are set
> up that way.  There are at least two exceptions of which I'm aware
> - WMBR and WHRB (the latter, though it has a commercial license, is
> still a non-profit organization).  Both of these stations have their
> own non-profit corporations established that are at least legally
> separate from MIT and Harvard, respectively.  They have to file their
> own Form 990s, and donations to those two stations don't (and can't)
> flow into their respective schools' coffers.

You mention that WHRB has a commercial license, yet they operate as a
non-commercial station in the commercial end of the dial (such as WRBB).  Do
they operate as a non-comm by choice?  If so, why don't they have a
non-commercial license?  Forgive my ignorance, but I'm very confused.