Re: ratings

>You mention that WHRB has a commercial license, yet they operate as a
>non-commercial station in the commercial end of the dial (such as WRBB).  Do
>they operate as a non-comm by choice?  If so, why don't they have a
>non-commercial license?  Forgive my ignorance, but I'm very confused.

WHRB's license, as issued by the FCC, allows for commercial operation.
To the best of my knowledge, they are the only college or college-
affiliated station in town to have a commercial license.

Whether they choose to run commercials or not is their business; any
commercial station can choose to run commercial-free some or even all
of the time.

But if I were in their position, I would see it as being awfully foolish
to change their license from commercial to non-commercial.  Non-commercial
licenses are more restrictive than commercial ones.  Though many on this
list will claim there to be no difference these days between commercials
(not allowed on non-comm stations) and underwriting, there are in fact
still some fairly important distinctions between the two, enough so that
the FCC can fine (and has fined) non-comms for airing announcements that
they judge to be too close to commercials.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu