Re: when oldies stations drop the 50s...

On 9 Jan 2002 at 16:32, anastasi@javanet.com wrote:

> Well, excuse me, but I am going to "take this personally."  I am this
> close to a flame, but will try to control myself. I am 52, so I am on that
> dividing line where my youth was both in the late 50s and all of the 60s.
> Therefore, I have memories attached to both decades. What are people of my
> age supposed to do with those memories once they fall out of the desired
> demographic?

I certainly sympathize, but fortunately a lot of the music of that period
is available on CDs and tapes.  And some of us still have turntables and
records.

>  But damn it, don't take away the one thing we have left to remember our
> youth, which is our music! My dad has three stations (WXKS-AM, WESX-AM,
> and WPLM) to listen to for his music from the "Big Band" era and the early
> 50s.  Is it too much to ask for one station that plays music from the
> birth of rock & roll (roughly 1955) to the beginning of the British
> Invasion?

Actually, WXKS and WESX are playing more and more later music as well, as
is WJIB, as I've mentioned before.  And both satellite and online
services are programming 50s rock channels.  The present dynamic will
change at some point.  I'm not sure how or when, but these things don't
stay static.  The Boomer generation is a lot of people who have a lot of
money to spend, even if we don't buy on credit.  That large a market
won't stay ignored.

I think it's all just change for the sake of change.  Oldies