Re: WODS jingles, songs-in-a-row

Eli Polonsky wrote:

>I still think the time may be coming once again for niche formatted
>50's/early to mid 60's rock oldies stations to appear in some markets. There
>is now no one in commercial radio in Boston proper playing Chuck Berry,
>Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, 50's Elvis, etc... this music is
>too uptempo to appear on "Adult Standards" stations. It wouldn't be a
>ratings topper, but with the major FM Oldies stations no longer competing in
>this era, perhaps it could keep some failing AM stations afloat is some
>areas.

There has been discussion recently on the Broadcast Airchex list lately
along this same line.  One of the major groups (Citadel I think) switched
an AM in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton market to a pre-British invasion oldies
format.  Aside from a live morning show, it's automated & jockless but
maybe it's an idea who's time has come.  It almost seems that it would be
up to one of the big groups to do this on one of their "dog"
frequencies...unlike a private owner, there would be less pressure to turn
a profit, as long as it paid for itself (and with automation/voicetracking
operating costs would be minimal--certainly a better use of a frequency
than another satellite talk outfit with 3rd tier programs).

>I recall oldies formats first hitting the commercial air in the early 70's
>with the "American Graffiti/Happy Days" 50's nostalgia era, the first in
>Boston being the original 98.5 WROR circa 1973 with a great DJ lineup.

Are you sure about the time frame?  I don't remember live jocks on 98.5
until the late 70s.