RE: WNEF 91.7 almost on air

At 01:53 AM 12/29/01 -0500, Michael P Fitzpatrick Jr. wrote:
><Aaron Read wrote>
> > > Why don't you guys apply for a translator on 96.1 up
> > > in Ipswitch or
> > > so?
>
>Because you have a class B on 96.1 in Worcester, and a class A on 96.3 up in
>NH to be concerned with. A translator on 96.1 in Ipswich or anywhere south
>of, oh, Maine, would be too short spaced.
>--Mike

Again, as opposed to WMFO, WMLN, WZLY and WJUL....all co-channel on
91.5?   And WJUL's not some dinky 150 watter, they're a full 1kW with some
decent HAAT, too.   Short-spacing rules are a joke in New England.   Null
your translator and take advantage of the terrain and you can fit a
transmitter in almost anywhere.

Hell, I found a way to fit a Class 100 watt station on the Boston Univ
campus that would, just barely, protect WGBH and WERS except for about a
30-50 yard radius.   It included mounting the transmitter on the side
of  the LAW tower to provide an effective null to the north, and
directionalized the hell out of it to aim it east...but it would've
worked.  Of course, it would've required WGBH & WERS signing off on
allowing a 2nd adjacent camper which I doubt they'd do without a
substantial palm greasing.  And I never did really sit down and think about
how badly WGBH & WERS would interfere with the proposal signal.  Probably
pretty badly upon reflection.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     / aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting / www.friedbagels.com
12 Walnut St. / Waltham, MA / 02453