Re: WNEF 91.7 almost on air

--- Aaron Read <aread@speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Heh, talk to the people at WJUL, WMFO, WMLN and WZLY
> sometime....ALL on
> 91.5.

Yes, the perils of short-spacing on the non-commercial
band. When WUMB went on the air at 91.9, WMWM lost
part of its coverage area, as they "walked over us"
(in certain areas).Now the same thing will happen with
WNEF.

I remember about 10 or 15 years ago, a Salem resident
wrote to WMWM complaining about how our signal pretty
much obliterated WUMB. He'd be listening to folk music
on 91.9, then we'd blast on the air at 9 am or
something with punk! He claimed to have an
organization
named "91.9 not 91.7". We told him that the FCC
had licensed 91.9 so close to us, and usually there's
no trouble getting both stations--unless you're
very close to each station's antenna.

That situation affects me, too, here in Beverly. I
put a tape into my deck, set it to 91.9, and tried
to tape WUMB's syndicated "Midnight Special", but
the first hour had splashover from WMWM (which
ended when WMWM signed off at midnight; "Midnight
Special" runs 11 pm to 1 am on WUMB).

> Why don't you guys apply for a translator on 96.1 up
> in Ipswitch or
> so?

Who knows? Will have to bring that up at a station
meeting or something! But we do have a limited budget
and maybe we figure we do OK serving Salem/ Beverly/
Peabody/ Danvers/ Lynn, and it would ask too much
for us to reach even more communities!

WMWM's 130 watts sometimes go a bit further than
you'd think, but the close proximity of WUMB, WPAA,
WJUL, WMFO, and (soon) WNEF cuts in on our signal.