Re: "The Lost 45s with Barry Scott" moves to Oldies 103.3!

> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:00:00 -0500
> From: SteveOrdinetz <steveord@wavewizard.com>
> Subject: Re: "The Lost 45s with Barry Scott" moves to Oldies 103.3!
>
> Dave Faneuf wrote:
>>
>> It is my understanding from several sources that Walter is gone from
>> WODS.
>
> If, as several members of this list say WODS is trending more into 70s
> music, Walter is becoming less and less of a fit (though no one can say he
> really fit at WBCN in the early 70s when they were still a hippie station).
>
> I know the idea has been tried before, and met with lukewarm response, but
> maybe the time has come for an oldies station that emphasized pre-British
> Invasion rock.  The key is coming up with a large enough playlist without
> being too obscure or MOR.  Might even be something that would work on AM.

I think it would be a viable idea in many markets where the mainstream
oldies stations are abandoning that era (and starting to play 70's/80's
disco, soft-rock, etc...)

It wouldn't likely get huge numbers, and it's unlikely that the big national
conglomerates would want it for their stations at this time, but I think it
could hold it's own and float itself in many areas with a loyal audience as
a niche format, get fair ratings, and could save some locally or regionally
owned AM stations from going all-bird, all-brokered or going dark.

Of course, to do it right and get an effective response, you'd need live
DJ's to give the station local flavor to the area, take requests, etc... so
you'd have the expense of having to pay an airstaff. Perhaps voicetracking
at times, but certain shifts would have to be live, and no birdfed oldies or
jockless automation except perhaps overnights.

Eli Polonsky