Re: boston-radio-interest-digest V4 #533

> Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 22:24:57 -0500
> From: "David W. Harris" <dwh@totalnetnh.net>
> Subject: Re: boston-radio-interest-digest V4 #528
>
> Looking through my LPs, I see a few other items added
> to the collection because of WBCN airplay some 30
> years ago but unlikely to be heard on WZLX, WROR, or
> WODS today. There's "Pepper's Powwow" by Jim Pepper
> featuring "Witchitai-To..."

I play that one sometimes, and certainly remember it on 'BCN. Actually, first Pepper recorded a somewhat lighter "poppier" sounding version and called the group "Everything Is Everything". It actually bubbled around the bottom of the pop Top 100 briefly in 1970.

"Pepper's Pow-Wow" came out in 1971, with the classic version that was an "FM underground" radio hit. The album has been out of print for a couple of decades. It was one of Charles Laquidara's favorites which he was no longer allowed to play since the early 70's, until his very last day at WZLX last year. He also played both versions on my show on WMBR when I had him guest host with me about a month before he left WZLX and the area.

Pepper recorded a jazzier new version of it on CD in the late 80's, but it didn't seem to have the punch of the original LP version.

I was thinking of playing "The Wind" in case some of you guys were listening today, but totally forgot. It wasn't one of my better shows, I spent all night setting up my new computer at home so gave myself no prep time (or sleep).

Eli