Re: Another reason to hate Public Television

> At 08:16 PM 12/8/01 -0500, Dib9@aol.com wrote:
> >...but rock-n-roll, with only a few notable exceptions, is not meant
> >be played by a big band of men wearing tuxedos.  Not only does the
music
> >sound crappy when played that way, that's just not what's its about.
>
> Oh but it CAN be done right.  Ever hear the "S&M" album?  (Metallica
w/ the
> San Francisco Symphony Orchestra)   DAMN fine album.  But I'll grant
> you...the symphony is definitely in the background where it
> belongs....except for specific instances where they're taking
advantage of
> the string section.
> And the version of "Dream On" that Aerosmith did with a symphony at
the MTV
> VMA a few years back?  Good version too.  But I'll grant you...there's
> lot of potential for abuse there.   It's best used like a President's
> brain: sparingly  :-)

Let us not forget the 1972 LP Procol Harum  "Live with the Edmonton
Symphony Orchestra.   "A single lifted from the live record,
"Conquistador,"
redone in a rich and dramatic version, shot to number 16 in America and
22 in England that summer." < a short quote from CDNOW biography
for scholarly/reviewing purposes only >

Roger Kirk