Re: What's JJ up to?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To: "Dan Billings" <dib9@gwi.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: What's JJ up to?

> Do any of you Mainers think 96.3 // 95.9 would work?

I tuned back and forth between the two stations on my drive home from
Portland tonight.  WRED's 95.9 signal is stronger than I recalled and WLOB's
96.3 signal is weaker than I recalled.

WRED came in loud and clear all the way until Freeport.  After that, there
was some static from time to time, but still listenable.  (I found the
static actually improved the rap music.)

WLOB was not listenable until Freeport, and even then there was some static.
One of my best friends worked at WWMR in the late 80's and I remember
driving around the Topsham/Brunswick area while listening to him on 96.3.
The signal appears to be much weaker in this area than it was at the time.
I think Chris Beckwith made a similar observation.

The bottom line is that a 95.9 // 96.3 combo would still leave a hole in the
Portland market in eastern Cumberland County.  The suggested 95.5 // 95.9 //
96.3 would be necessary to blanket southern and western Maine.

If you could add in 96.7 WCME Boothbay Harbor, you could also cover the
Augusta area and midcoast Maine!  When Bob Cole owned the stations, 95.5 and
96.7 were simulcast partners for a time.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine