Re: WMEX Schedule in the 60's

On 17 Nov 2001 at 10:06, DonKelley@aol.com wrote:

> Melvin X. Melvin was JJ Jeffrey, not Mel Miller. Note that both Mel Miller
> and Melvin X. Melvin were on WMEX during the same era. Airchecks clearly
> show that they were not the same person.

I will be happy to send you my tapes of the 1985 WROR Rock & Roll Reunion Weekend, in
which Mel Miller appeared and used both names interchangeably.  There is no question that at
some point Mel Miller was Melvin X. Melvin.  It would not surprise me at all if he was not the only
Melvin X. Melvin, but he was one of them.

I don't know when the name of Melvin X. Melvin first appeared, but it was being used when I first
began listening to WMEX in the summer of 1962, when WCOP dropped the Top 40 format.
Arnie Ginsburg's "Cruisin 1961" also contains a 1961 promo which mentions Melvin X. Melvin.
The name may or may have been partly inspired by Malcolm X, though if so, it was well before
his assasination.  I always thought it was based on the appearance of the letters "ME" and "X" in
the name.  Maybe it was both.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
  15 Court Square, Suite 210                      lawyer@attorneyross.com