Re: radio in '22

So have I got this right? After WHAZ would have come
WIAA, WIAB, and WIAC? There is or was a WIAC in San Juan
PR, and I guess the station may be old enough to have
gotten its calls through sequential assignment in this
way. But what about WBBM and WICC? WBBM was allegedly a
sequentially assigned call sign (notwithstanding the
slogans that were made up to "explain" the call sign).
WBBM would have come quite a while after WZAZ. I don't
know about WICC, but those calls have been around a
_long_ time. WICC would have been asigned quite a while
after WZBZ, right?

Aren't there 676 two-letter combinations in our
alphabet? To get all the way from WAAA to WZAZ by the
method I think you're describing, I believe the FRC
would have had to assign 676 sets of calls. And to get
from WABA to WBBM would have taken another 39, right?
We're up to 715. I guess I can believe that. When it
reached WZBZ, the FRC/FCC would have made 1352
sequential assignments. Then from WACA to WICC would
have taken another 211 for a total of 1563.

Still possible I guess but starting to get a little
harder to believe. Just before World War II there were
only about 800 radio stations in the US. A lot of
stations had gone belly up and the calls weren't reused,
but some calls were reused. And then there were the
ships. My head is hurting.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205