Re: Observing 890 and 900 on theAM Dial

WBPS holds a CP to slightly modify its day pattern to send small lobe to the
west toward Worcester and also to slightly increase its day pattern RMS.
This CP was granted long enough ago that failure to construct could result
in loss of the CP. WBPS may now be modifying or replacing its daytime
phasing network, which would explain the use of the night facilities during
daylight hours. Unlike some other stations (WBNW, for example), WBPS has day
and night patterns that are similar enough that it can use its night pattern
during the day at full night power without causing interference to other
stations.

In addition, WBIX (1060) holds a CP to add night service with 2.5 kW by
diplexing with WBPS at night and WJLT (650) holds a CP to increase its day
power to 2000W by diplexing with WBPS during the day. Since WBIX and WJLT
are commonly owned, I suspect that both of these upgrades will be
constructed at one time. There have to be some economies from installing
both upgrades at the same time. In fact, I suspect that Mega and/or whoever
is going to LMA WBPS probably wants to get the construction over with before
890's format flip. Despite the extremely narrow focus of 890's new
programming, introducing a new format on a station licensed for 25 kW but
actually running 3.4 kW is not a recommended way to get a new format off to
a good start.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367