Re: WEEI - Must they...

  i'd been hoping to stay away from this, but this one
area is one of my BEST radio stories.  sadly, my better
radio stories end up with me being "that guy over there"
instead of the one with a great gig and a trophy wife
and a fishing show on CMT or something.

1986:  a Saturday night.  headed into the plant at 441
Stuart St. for the Saturday-into-Sunday overnight
shift.  i'd been watching the game at my sister's house
in Arlington.  around 9:30, i figure it's in the bag.
grab the headphones and head for The Nifty 850, WHDH.
arrived at Stuart Street, downstairs from the studio,
complete with TV Parking (as the Japanese call getting a
parking spot RIGHT where you need to be), around 10pm or
so.  off the elevator and through the "Get Smart" door
to the WHDH conference room and hospitality suite,
wherein the big ol' tv was regaling all within (News
Director Ed Bell, Sports Director Tom Larson, as well as
a few engineers and one other newsperson whose name at
the moment escapes me and i feel terrible about... maybe
Naomi Clements? not sure.).  So Ed Bell says "Chuck!
Head over to Champs (Bob Wolfe's Champions Sports Bar
across the street) and get ready to do a post-game
phoner with us!"  "Cool," replies Chuck, somewhat hoping
that the payphone would be within sight of a tv screen
so i could actually SEE "THEM" win it.  Cross the street
to Copley Place, flash the Wha-Hood-Da-Huh ID and get
escorted right to a nice stool at the edge of the alcove
near the payphones.  Payphones are NOT within sight of
tv screens.  I'm watching.  Waiting.  Grab the dime out
of my pocket and call the WHDH Hotline.  "Stand by,
Chuck," says the voice of the engineer back at the
station.  "We're gonna put you through to Jim Bohannon.
He wants an on-scene reaction thing when it's
over."  "Wow!" thinks Chuck.  "Jim-bo himself?  And me?
Coast-to-freakin-coast?  YES!"
   On the payphone next to me is a guy who is definitely
Brooklyn.  No doubt about it.  "Oh, man," he whines to
his buddies back home, trying to be heard over the ever-
rising din in Champs.  "I can't believe it's ending like
this..."
   A moment later, the silence in the SRO bar was broken
only by the gentleman on the phone next to me, his
(bleep)ing shrieks the only sound aside from the sobs
and wails of grown men and women weeping.  "What the
(BLEEP) happened?" screamed Brooklyn.  "What the (BLEEP
BLEEP BLEEP) happened?"
    down the payphone line came the gentle intonation to
return to the studio.  "Thanks anyway, Chuck," said Jim
Bohannon.  Click.  And with that, my coast-to-coast
thing dribbled up the right field line.  So, i ran
across Copley Place and over to the second floor studios
to prepare for a very long, depressing night.
    As i set up my spots for the first hour, I watched
Tom Larson deliver THE Eulogy.  His face: drawn; tired;
dejected.  His emotion: frothing; seething.  the report
closed with words i'll never forget:
   "And so now it's Bill Bleeping Buckner going down in
history with Bucky Bleeping Dent.  Tom Larson, WHDH
Sports."

regarding the 1978 thing:  Who's Bucky Bleeping Dent?
(De Nile... a river in Egypt.)

- -Chuck Igo